Sunday, September 27, 2009

Physical Health

All my life I have remained fairly active. Much more some of the time. Compared to the "average person" I am pretty fit. A few years ago I decided to stop running (which use to be my main thing for cardio-fitness). Bad knees caused me to replace running with biking.



Lately however (for about a year)- I have slacked off. I can tell too. In the way I feel and the size of my fat reserves. :)

I am still in decent shape...so I do not feel it will be difficult to ramp of the intensity/frequency of my "designated" exercise activities. Thus I have begun to regularly ride my bicycle again. It is more than just the physical aspect....I find that it is meditative as well. The tough part is taking time out of my days to DO this activity. It is easy to find other things I could do....my situation in life is such that I am busy....I have taken on many tasks and responsibilities. But it IS worth it and I know I can commit myself to the exercising thing if I make it a priority.

MAKING IT A PRIORITY is very important. Then there are no excuses and it becomes a reason for you NOT to do the other things. "No, I'm sorry, I can't do "X" today...I have to go ride my bike" PERIOD.

Here is something I have learned: The secret to losing weight and/or being fit is.......drum roll please.......
pushing your body physically against resistance of gravity consistently with purpose over time and eating the correct nutrients in NECESSARY amounts....while avoiding most (if not all) of the fun "extras" we humans have concocted for entertaining our taste buds.

That's it. Simple. No pills, no potions, no shakes, no powders, no books, no tools and equipment needed.

We legitimize our excuses and reasons when it suits us.

I had my 35th b-day this year. I promised myself many years ago that I would maintain my health and fitness. I may never hit the big time, or be rich, or win the Nobel Prize.....but as long as I am able at all...I CAN take care of this body that houses ME.

As I have gotten older I have gotten progressively healthier. So I am on the right track. I hope I last a long time and continue to feel the benefits of such choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment